Professor Manuel Barange
Professor Manuel Barange is the Director of the Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division at the Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Italy and also an Honorary Fellow at the Plymouth Marine Laboratory and an Honorary Professor at the College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Exeter, UK.
Until joining FAO in 2016 Prof Barange was Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Science of the Plymouth Marine Laboratory. From 2010-2013 he was also Chair of the Scientific Committee of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES. www.ices.dk), and from 1999-2010 was Director of the International Project Office of the IOC-SCOR-IGBP core project GLOBEC (Global Ocean Ecosystem Dynamics).
Manuel expertise includes physical/biological interactions, climate and anthropogenic impacts on marine ecosystems, fish ecology, behaviour and trophodynamics, and fisheries assessment and management. In recent years, he has focused his research on predicting the impacts of climate change on marine ecosystems, and on the interactions between climate and other anthropogenic impacts on marine ecosystem services. In his role at FAO he emphasizes the importance conservation and sustainable development to secure food, livelihoods and trade of marine goods and services.
Manuel was awarded the 2010 UNESCO-IOC Roger Revelle Medal for his accomplishments and contributions to ocean science. He is in the Strategic Advisory Board of IMR (Norway), and past member of the Science Advisory Boards of CEFAS (UK), KAUST Red Sea Centre (Saudi Arabia), NERC (UK) Innovation Strategy Board, and EU Horizon 2020 Advisory Boards, among others. He is a review editor of the IPCC Special Report on Oceans and the Cryosphere.
Manuel has over 100 peer-reviewed publications and has recently edited books on "Climate Change and the Economics of the World's Fisheries" (Elgar Publishers) and "Marine Ecosystems and Global Change" (Oxford University Press), including:
- Brander, K., K. Cochrane, M. Barange and D. Soto 2017. Chapter 3: Climate Change Implications for Fisheries and Aquaculture. In: B.F. Phillips and M. Perez Ramirez, Climate Change Impacts on Fisheries and Aquaculture: A Global Analysis. Wiley-Blackwell. Pp. 45-62.
- Andrello M., F. Guilhaumon, C. Albouy, V. Parravicini, J. Scholtens, M. Barange, S. Manel, D. Mouillot (2017). Global mismatch between fishing dependency and larval benefits from marine reserves. Nature Comms. 8, 16039. Doi:10.1038/ncomms16039
- Barange, M., M. Buttenschon, A. Yool, N. Beaumont, J. Fernandes, A. Martin, J.I. Allen (2017). The cost of reducing the North Atlantic Ocean biological carbon pump. Frontiers in Mar. Sci. 3(290). Doi:10.3389/fmars.2016.00290
- Tittensor, D.P., T.D. Eddy, H.K. Lotze, E.D. Galbraith, W.W. Cheung, M. Barange, J. Blanchard, L. Bopp, A. Bryndum-Büchner, M. Büchner, C. Bulmann, D.A. Carozza, V. Christensen, M. Coll, J.P. Dunne, J.A. Fernandes, E.A. Fulton, A. Hobday, V. Huber, S. Jennings, M. Jones, P. Lehodey, J.S. Link, S. Mackinson, O. Maury, S. Niiranen, R. Oliveros-Ramos, T. Roy, J. Schewe, Y.-J. Shin, C. Stock, P.J. Underwood, J. Volkholz, J. R. Watson, N. D. Walker. (2017). A protocol for the intercomparison of marine fishery and ecosystem models: Fish-MIP v1.0. Geosci. Model Dev. Discuss., https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-2017-209
- Frazao Santos, C., T. Agardy, F. Andrade, M. Barange, L. Crowder, C. Ehler, M. Orbach and R. Costa. (2016). Ocean planning under climate change. Nature Geoscience 9: 730.
- Queiros, A.M., K.B. Huebert, F. Keyl, J.A. Fernandes, W. Stolte, M. Maar, S. Kay, M.C. Jones, K.G. Hamon, G. Henriksen, Y. Vermard, P. Marchal, L.R. Teal, P.J. Somerfield, M.C. Austen, M. Barange, A.F. Sell, J.I. Allen, M. Peck 2016. Solutions for ecosystem-level protection of ocean systems under climate change. Global Change Biology 22: 3927-3936.
- Béné, C., M. Barange, R. Subasinghe, P. Pinstrup-Andersen, G. Merino, G.-I Hemre, M. Williams (2015). Feeding 9 billion by 2050 – Putting fish back on the menu. Food Security 7: 261-274
- Atkinson, A., S.L. Hill, M. Barange, E. A. Pakhomov, D. Raubenheimer, K. Schmidt, S. J. Simpson, C. Reiss. (2014). Sardine cycles, krill declines and locust plagues. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 29(6): 309-316.
- Barange, M., G. Merino, J.L. Blanchard, J. Scholtens, J. Harle, E.H. Allison, J.I. Allen, J. Holt, S. Jennings. (2014). Impacts of climate change on marine ecosystem production in fisheries-dependent societies. Nature Climate Change 4:211-216.