+44 (0)1392 726203
Geoffrey Pope 231, 232 and 313
Geoffrey Pope Building, University of Exeter , Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4QD, UK
I am currently a Sequencing Technician within the Sequencing Facility after completing my Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship.
I predominately undertake Quality Control and maintain the sequencing machines. This includes checking samples on Qubit, TapeStation, Promega Quantiflour and qPCR. I sequence projects on the MiSeq, NovaSeq 6000 and I am currently being trained to run and maintain the Nanopore MinIon and PromethIon Sequencers.
I undertake DNA sample preparation following protocols including; Nextera XT, NEB Ultra and 1S Swift. I am in the process of starting to undertake RADSeq, RNASeq and TruSeq sample preparations.
Other tasks that I am responsible for include:
- Mouse Genotyping (for the MRC group)
- Consumable requisitions
- Ordering and stock take
- Instrument training for Qubit, Covaris, TapeStation. Quantiflour.
- Creating COSHH and Risk Assessments.
- Pipette calibration
I also have previous experience working in a commercial Food Laboratory.
As part of my Apprenticeship I studied BTEC Level 3 Applied Science in which I achieved Distinction*Distinction. The modules I studied were:
- Principles and Applications of Science I
- Principles and Applications of Science II
- Investigative Project
- Laboratory Practical Applications and Skills
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
I passed my Apprenticeship in Nov 2019 as a fully qualified Laboratory Technician.
General Laboratory duties
DNA and RNA QC