Early Career Researcher Network
The Early Career Researcher Network helps support postdocs and PhD students in their career development. Dr Helen Eyles coordinates the network alongside a steering committee of peers from across the department.
We are in the process of organizing a series of monthly events for the upcoming academic year, addressing a range of topics such as grant writing, publishing, and non-academic career paths. This is intended to complement existing events provided at university level, but to be more specific to the needs of Biosciences.
If there is an issue you would like advice or training on or if you have an idea for an event, please contact us – ideas are welcome!!
Keep up-to-date with the network and its' activities by checking out the following links:
Great resources and guidelines from the University of Exeter
- Researcher Toolkit great tool to help answer all your questions about any aspect of research
- Sign up to the Research News mailing list for details on seminars and workshops for early career researchers
- Find our guidelines for the one step beyond mentoring scheme, a new scheme for mentoring outside of your usual line management, tailored specifically for ECRs
- The University also has a host of introductory activities and resources for new early career researchers to help plan your career path and guide you through the pay grades, career path streams and training available
Inclusivity and the University of Exeter
- The University Inclusivity Toolkit provides excellent training and guidance including advice on inappropriate behaviour and what you can do
- Seven simple tips for Avoiding gender bias in letter of reference writing, courtesy of the University of Arizona Commission on the Status of Women
- Find jobs nationwide through WISE, a campaign to promote women in science, technology and engineering or for adverts for Exeter specific jobs
- How to thrive in a PhD or Post-Doc. A wealth of tips, talks and templates, courtesy of Professor Scott Keogh at the Australian National University, bringing together resources and advice for students and post-docs